Re: [opensuse] apache log full of wpad.dat
* Bernhard Voelker <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-19-14 18:41]:
* Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-19-14 16:23]:

ps: from the win machines, ping wpad
resolves to my wpad.<my-ip>

which is undoubtedly why I see wpad.dat in my web server logs.

This is really strange.
Anyway, you can tell your browser to not use the "wpad" mechanism:
e.g. in the connection settings in Firefox, choose "No proxy".

I have had this set for a long time :^)

.. but it would be interesting why these hosts get your web server's
IP when resolving "wpad". Do you have an unusual DNS server (or cache)?
If "nslookup wpad" returns your IP, then it's the DNS. Else it's an
issue on the Win7 & Win8 box. I'd guess the former.

from the openSUSE boxes:

wahoo:~/mail > nslookup wpad
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find wpad: No answer

from the win boxes:

$ nslookup wpad
Non-authoritative answer:
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

Name: wpad.wahoo.no-ip.org
Address: 50.90.199.127

BTW: setting "8.8.8.8 wpad" in the hosts files is probably not wanted
(by google, the owner of that IP). The choice with "127.0.0.1 wpad"
looks better to me (I'd probably put the real hostname first after
the IP). ... but it's still a workaround for the unusual resolving
of "wpad" to your IP.

But setting to "127.0.0.1 wpad" provides the same wpad.dat entries in
apache2 access_log or in apache2 error.log :(

perhaps I should set it to some site that does not resolve ?? or perhaps,
example.com ??

perhaps one of the advertising sites :^)