Re: [opensuse] apache log full of wpad.dat
On 2014-01-19 22:22, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

Bernhard Voelker suggested earlier today:

<quote>
Apart from just suppressing the log entries, I'd try to solve the
reason of the problem: The above host seems to think that the hostname
"wpad" resolves to your Apache host's IP.

Run "ping wpad" on that host to verify that.

The reason in turn might be a static entry in the hosts file (IIRC on
Windows c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)m or a strange DNS issue.
</quote>

On the two "challenged" boxes on my local net, win7 & win8, I have edited
host to:
8.8.8.8 wpad ##direct wpad.dat to an outside source

I don't think that's the route, either. Possibly, your windows computer
would get an wpad.dat from outside, and it is anybody guess out what
that would contain.

(I pointed firefox to "8.8.8.8/wpad.dat". It times out. Bad).

If I understand correctly from the wikipedia article, the browsers can
use that file to autoconfigure themselves. So possibly you have to
instead configure those browsers to NOT autoconfigure.

Another route could be to create that file on your apache server. Maybe
your windows machines fail to find it and try again many, many times. So
just supply it, maybe once is enough. You have to find out what it
should contain, of course.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.