Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:48:14 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Friday, January 17, 2014 03:33:16 PM Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Just saw on the Factory list that someone was having an issue with
ntpd starting on a systemd-type system. Seems that the boot process
will wait for ntpd startup to complete before the system boot
completes. This I did not expect. The reason given was that things
like dovecot will die if the time jumps some amount. To keep that
from happening, ntpd must start and presumably complete time sync
before many services complete.

My ntpd completes startup in less than a second. I use broadcast
though, so no DNS etc.

But our evil users will start the system in a underground car park /
atom bomb shelter. They won't like if it won't allow them to log in
until the GPS gets sats.

So you disable the setting of time on startup. That way there's nothing
to wait for. Your services that require a correct time will have to
wait until your GPS is working anyway, right?

So I think I will configure but not enable
ntpd. Then my new script will start ntpd when it sees the GPS has come
on line. And I will pray that none of the services I need barf if the
time changes in a way not to their liking. Seems a potentially fragile
solution.

I suggest 's/pray/test/g'

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.7°C)