Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:38:19 +0100
On Friday, January 17, 2014 03:33:16 PM Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Just saw on the Factory list that someone was having an issue with
ntpd starting on a systemd-type system. Seems that the boot process
will wait for ntpd startup to complete before the system boot
completes. This I did not expect. The reason given was that things
like dovecot will die if the time jumps some amount. To keep that from
happening, ntpd must start and presumably complete time sync before
many services complete.

My ntpd completes startup in less than a second. I use broadcast
though, so no DNS etc.

But our evil users will start the system in a underground car park / atom bomb
shelter. They won't like if it won't allow them to log in until the GPS gets
sats. So I think I will configure but not enable ntpd. Then my new script will
start ntpd when it sees the GPS has come on line. And I will pray that none of
the services I need barf if the time changes in a way not to their liking.
Seems a potentially fragile solution.

--
Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer