Re: [opensuse] Is this normal? systemd-journal taking nearly 2 gigs of memory.
On 2014-01-16 23:40, Anton Aylward wrote:
Carlos E. R. said the following on 01/16/2014 02:19 PM:

Why don't you try turning swap off then on again.

That's worse. Then memory that is currently free is used by what was
out, in swap.

Possibly; possibly not.

Look:

(using "quoted" text because it disables line wrap in Thunderbird)

Telcontar:~ # free -h
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 7.8G 5.7G 2.1G 0B 424M 3.1G
-/+ buffers/cache: 2.2G 5.6G
Swap: 20G 1.4G 19G
Telcontar:~ # swapoff -a

(this took a minute or two, with about 50% cpu load)

Telcontar:~ # free -h
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 7.8G 6.7G 1.1G 0B 424M 3.0G
-/+ buffers/cache: 3.3G 4.5G
Swap: 0B 0B 0B
Telcontar:~ # swapon -a
Telcontar:~ #

My free memory went down by 1 GiB, cached just by 0.1 GiB. Used memory
went up by 1 GiB, which matches.

About 0.4 GiB of what was in swap was discarded, it seems.

The end result is that disabling swap I get less free memory, as I said,
although not as much as I thought :-)

Telcontar:~ # free -h
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 7.8G 6.7G 1.1G 0B 421M 3.0G