Re: [opensuse] lack of space on /boot for new kernel
On 2014-01-16 21:52, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2014-01-16 12:21 (GMT-0800) John Andersen composed:

1) So what functionality (besides eye-candy) does Plymouth supply such
that we
can simply un-install it and everything runs just fine?

What Carlos wrote +1.

Without it, there is usually a KMS mode switch that causes a visual
glitch somewhere in each boot process that bothers some people who know
how to code. They attributed their bother to everyone and provided
Plymouth as a combined solution to that and unrelated issues.

I have seen that glitch. Yes, it bothers me a bit, on some machines it
may cause the screen to be reset and messages erased. It happens, I
think, when grub uses a different video mode than the kernel.

I don't call Plymouth eye candy, because I think of candy as something
pleasant. I think of bling as fancy showoff for the sake of play pretty
without regarding utility as anything more than nice to have. To me
utility is being able to see what's happening, which Plymouth themes
I've seen do their level best to inhibit, through dark colors, low text
to background contrast, and paint areas half or less of the available
screen space.

I have not experienced it. I got it installed first on the virtual
machines I use for testing factory releases, and there those graphics
got automatically disabled, I don't know why. Soon I hit problems, so in
the 'postit' note where I wrote what to do during installs, plymouth is
on the remove list so that I never forget. Thus I never installed it on
real hardware and I have never _seen_ it in action.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.