Re: [opensuse] lack of space on /boot for new kernel
On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:16:42 -0500, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Those installation tools lie about need. They report gross need, not how much available space is short of the actual need for you to use to >calculate how much needs to be freed up.

Not sure what to do with this: zypper gags, claiming not enough space. So even if there is actually enough, I don't know how to get from here to there.

If there is a /boot/grub/stage2.old or stage2.bak, delete it to gain ~200k.

Checked, and no old files of that sort.

Another way to gain space is ensure only one Grub is installed if both Grub Legacy and Grub2 are installed. Grub2 uses more space on /boot >than does Grub Legacy. Legacy rpm is 331k vs Grub2 rpm's 1.9M. And, you only need one or the other, even though the installer normally >gives you both.

Both are installed, so that is one way I can free up space for the future.

If your system is using dracut instead of mkinitrd, you might find the latter wants to build a smaller initrd by default. Or vice versa, especially >if the hostonly switch is used.

Uses mkinitrd.

If your /boot uses a journaling filesystem it is doing so for virtually no reason and wasting space in the process. Most of /boot's infrequent >accesses are only reading. Writing rarely happens except at new kernel installation or old kernel removal times. All my /boot partitions are >ext2.

Mine is ext4, which I guess is unnecessary, from what you say. ext4 is journalling, right?

You could unmount your /boot before installing the kernel, and it would install to the root filesystem instead. To do that, after unmounting >and before updating the kernel, mount it somewhere else to copy its current content to the new /boot, update fstab, and update /etc/>grub.conf. If Grub is on MBR you may be good to go already just by updating, but I'd ensure booting is possible before trying a reboot >according to what is currently installed where. Grub probably isn't already installed to your root filesystem and may need to be.

This suggests the best long-term solution (someone else suggested moving /boot to the root file system). Let me see if I've got it:

unmount /boot (I'm on a running system now)
mount boot somewhere on the root filesystem
update fstab to point to where /boot now is
edit /etc/grub.conf to do the same

then install the new kernel.

Did I miss anything? Is a reboot needed before installing the new kernel?

I don't know how to "ensure booting is possible" other than by trying to reboot -- can you help me with that one?

Many thanks! While I've been using linux (and unix and xenix) for 25 years, I'm an end user and not really expert in all this.

dao
--
Fr David Ousley
Church of St Michael the Archangel