Re: [opensuse] lack of space on /boot for new kernel
On 1/16/2014 12:50 PM, Fr David Ousley wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:39:41 -0500, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2014-01-16 12:11 (GMT-0500) Fr David Ousley composed:

what's the size of /boot ? this is a separate partition I guess,
otherwise you are running out of space in the root filesystem as well..

/boot is a separate partition: I accepted the size suggested when I
installed openSuse. It seemed small, but I asssumed that the installer
knew better than I did. df tells me that /boot is 68 MB. It is ext4.

68MB is too small for an installation that includes GFXboot, Plymouth, Grub
and Grub2. What were the other partition sizes you accepted? A
bug probably needs to be filed about this, but it needs facts to back it up.
Simply saying too small without context won't be good enough.

FWIW, on the system here, I accepted the installation suggestions which were
(omitting the remaining Windows partitions):

/boot 68 MB
/swap 2 GB
/root 20GB
/home 894 GB

Same as me, other than /boot being located on /

And a word of warning about that recommendation too.....

Root being only 20 gig can cause some problems, because that is where /tmp is
by default.
On my machine that leaves only some 8Gig free on root partition.

And some things, like K3B can use a boatload of temp space. While copying some
DVDs
recently the machine ran out of room on / due to multiple 4Gig iso images
laying around in /tmp.
I had to configure k3b to use temp space in a directory in my /home/[user]
directory.