Re: [opensuse] lack of space on /boot for new kernel
  • From: Robin Klitscher <robin.klitscher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:02:07 +1300
On 2014-01-16 21:21, John Andersen wrote:

Some questions if I may:

1) So what functionality (besides eye-candy) does Plymouth supply such that
we
can simply un-install it and everything runs just fine?

eye-candy.

Of course, it has features that allow entering the password for an
encrypted filesystem. Also, as boot messages are not displayed, it
captures them into a file (/var/log/boot.msg). Maybe it displays them on
request, I'm not sure because I always remove plymouth.

I remove it mostly because I want to see the plain text messages of boot
flowing by, and because it can sometimes interfere with the graphical X
session and other things. I also have separate boot partitions, which
were ample enough some years ago but now are too small. It has problems
(I have seen many reports), fortunately not hitting everybody - but I
will not risk it. I do not want to have to find out if some weird
problem I have is related to plymouth, so I remove it. Clear field.

For what it may be worth, as a mere ignorant user I just have
splash=verbose on the kernel line in grub.cfg (or menu.lst). This gives
me the plain text messages flowing by (too fast to read, actually) in
place of the eye-candy while leaving Plymouth running (or at least
that's what the boot log reports).

--
Robin K
Wellington "Harbour City"