Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 13:22:40 +0100
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 09:32:20 AM jdd wrote:
Le 15/01/2014 08:18, Roger Oberholtzer a écrit :
Provided that the GPS is providing times at the time the init script runs.
What if the user turns on the measurement system in a parking garage where
there is no satellite available? Time will not be available when the init
script runs.

hello, I did not follow the hread since the beginning, exuse me if this have
already been said.

Time ago one could buy quartz controlled PC clocks with very good accuracy,
a radio controlled clock could also be used. I do'nt know if this still
exists, but I don't see either why it shouldn't.

that said it could be pretty easy to record "pc time" and "gps time" and
"sta time"

Our current solution does something similar in the context of a single
application. We are hoping to make a solution that is available at the system
level.

and do not the gps have an internal timer??? professional gps, at least,
should have one

We already have the GPS in the systems. These are very high end inertial
navigation systems that have a GSP as a component. We use equipment from
http://www.oxts.com/. Another supplier is http://www.applanix.com/

Garmin are amateur level devices with low accuracy. Great for biking and such.
No use at all in vehicles traveling up to 110 km/h (68 mph) and requiring sub-
meter accuracy.

--
Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer