Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:03:58 +0100
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 09:14:17 AM Per Jessen wrote:

I guess it's only needed on boot-up? I.e. once the vehicle is on the
road, the GPS time is always available or only sporadically
unavailable?

Yes. Of course satellites may go away. But if the time in the GPS locations
drifts a bit, we are happy that the system clock follows. Our goal is to match
the GPS time stamps more than to have some absolute correct time.

How will ntp (as started by default in openSUSE) respond to this time
change that was done while it was running?

Using 'ntpd -q -g' to set the time, there should be no problem, but it's
easily tested. I've just tried it on a test-system, but because the
system is currently running ntpd sync'ed to DCF77, I don't see any
effect :-(

It makes sense that ntpd would be told about the time change. But if I make a
script that must complete before ntpd starts, this may not be an issue. Time
to jump in to systemd scripts. I have a few older scripts that have been
waiting for a bit of care anyway...

--
Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer