Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 09:22:23 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:26:58 PM John Andersen wrote:
If you have a bios clock you are probably good. Any pc grade clock
will be within a couple minutes even after months in the powered off
state.

Should be Easy to test this, just put two of them away somewhere and
check the drift after a month with no gps and no Internet connection.

Your local clock should be fine.

This has been our general experience as well. What I worry about is
that the clock starts to mess up because of, say, a battery. We need
to be certain that when ntp fails to set the clock we can reliably
know about this and call this to the attention of the operator.

Our problem is not so much with ntp failing to set the correct time as
is is with knowing that ntp has failed to set the correct time. If we
know it has failed we can take steps to correct the cause of failure.
If we do not know it has failed, we collect lots of very expensive and
unfortunately useless data.

It seems to me you have two different scenarios -

a) time needs to be set at start-up, when a reliable time signal is
available.
b) time needs to be kept accurate during operations.

You've already looked at (a) and found a solution. (b) is taken care of
by ntpd, and you can query it to check whether it is sync'ed or not.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.2°C)