Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 08:33:43 +0100
On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:26:58 PM John Andersen wrote:
If you have a bios clock you are probably good. Any pc grade clock will be
within a couple minutes even after months in the powered off state.

Should be Easy to test this, just put two of them away somewhere and check
the drift after a month with no gps and no Internet connection.

Your local clock should be fine.

This has been our general experience as well. What I worry about is that the
clock starts to mess up because of, say, a battery. We need to be certain that
when ntp fails to set the clock we can reliably know about this and call this
to the attention of the operator.

Our problem is not so much with ntp failing to set the correct time as is is
with knowing that ntp has failed to set the correct time. If we know it has
failed we can take steps to correct the cause of failure. If we do not know it
has failed, we collect lots of very expensive and unfortunately useless data.

--
Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems