Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 08:18:26 +0100
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 08:08:29 AM Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:47:31 AM John Andersen wrote:
NTP will often NOT compensate for several hours of difference.

This is a worry. These systems are in vehicles on the road. We have no
control over the time on the PC clock at boot.

The ntp init script used to run 'ntpdate -g', I'm sure it does something
similar now. That'll set the clock, but with a jump, not a slow
adjustment.

Provided that the GPS is providing times at the time the init script runs.
What if the user turns on the measurement system in a parking garage where
there is no satellite available? Time will not be available when the init
script runs. In typical Catch 22 fashion, the operator cannot know the GPS has
acquired sats and thus be able to provide correct time unless they turn on the
computer. At which time the init script runs. We do not want the operator to
have to assess if the GPS is ready and then run the init script. Maybe we will
need to modify the script so it runs a program that waits until the GPS has
satellites before proceeding? I suspect that this is the bigger issue than if
the BIOS clock is within one hour of UTC.

--
Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems