Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 08:10:45 +0100
On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 09:17:02 PM Per Jessen wrote:
John Andersen wrote:
On 1/14/2014 12:09 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Er, GMT is UTC+0, i.e. the same thing.

Not exactly.

They differ by 16 seconds or so.

Really? I was not aware, but I guess I have always seen those acronyms
to be timezones, not actual time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC

Universal Time Coordinated (French: Temps Universel Coordonné, UTC) is
the primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and
time. It is one of several closely related successors to Greenwich
Mean Time (GMT). For most purposes, UTC is synonymous with GMT, but
GMT is no longer precisely defined by the scientific community.

Do US GPS satellites really supply GMT ???

The NMEA standard, which is the most data common format from GPS receivers,
defines the time in records as being UTC. Receivers often also provide a
proprietary data stream, and the time in that is up to the manufacturer. We
use NMEA, and thus UTC, as that is the data attached to the PPS.

--
Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems