Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 12:49:09 -0800
On 1/14/2014 12:25 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
John Andersen wrote:

On 1/14/2014 12:17 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Do US GPS satellites really supply GMT ???

Wiki seems to think so,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System#Timekeeping
but I haven't actually looked at the message format in a while.

GPS != GMT. I have the same problem occasionally, I read what I want to
read, not what is actually written :-)

But there is still a difference.

GMT is simply the time in Greenwich, as kept by the
British Naval Observatories atomic clocks.

UTC is a calculated value based on the structure of the
planet, its un-even rotation, and a whole bunch of
esoteric minutia.

Now days, GMT is no longer scientifically defined, it use
to be defined at noon in Greenwich, but that varies
quit a bit.

As such GMT is essentially simply synced with
UTC these days, but it is still actually different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time