Re: [opensuse] Video Regression from 11.1 to 12.3 with Radeon 7000
On 01/13/2014 04:45 PM, Larry Stotler wrote:
Well, it seems that my 11.1 install is using the radeon driver. It
has KDE 3.5.9 installed. The 12.3 install has TDE 3.5.12 installed.
The only difference between the 2 installs is that on the 12.3 install
the /home directory is encrypted. The 11.1 install won't decrypt the
12.3's /home directory so I can't check to see if that is part of the
problem. After playing with the 11.1 install I can tell that it is
somewhat faster, and scrolling in Firefox is smoother but still not
fluid.

I've tried disabling kms but that didn't help either. Oh well. Other
than installing XP to see if its any better I guess I'm stuck with it.

I think you have narrowed down the issue to the encrypted home on 12.3. It isn't
kde3. I've run every version of kde3 from SuSE 10 - present TDE (trinity) and it
is just as fast and responsive today as it has been in the past (even better
without the old bugs).

I have never encrypted /home, but I can only imagine that would add overhead to
IO, especially with regard to the kde system config cache. It may have trouble
with incremental updates/refreshes with an encrypted home. You could try a clean
rebuild of the cache (as is done when kde3 is updated) and see if that doesn't
help with speed issues. In konsole/xterm just issue:

$ kbuildsycoca --noincremental

Give it 30-60 seconds and it will have built a clean configuration cache for
kde3 instead of appending incremental updates as you change things. This can
have a dramatic effect on performance.

As for Firefox/Thunderbird, they have not worked smoothly since mozilla joined
the version race and we rocketed from as stable/smooth ver. 3.6 to what? Version
26 now? On all my boxes, the mozilla apps are poor performers with scrolling
pauses, typing 15 characters into an email that shows nothing for seconds then
suddenly just appears, etc.... Don't get me wrong, I understand the enormous
amount of new capability that has gone into the packages, but since I use
virtually none of it, all I see is the sluggish response while it does all the
neat stuff I don't need.... :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.