Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:32:06 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

Hi

Is anyone using a GPS (gpsd) with the PPS signal as a time source for
NTP?

My main interest is how such systems are acting at system boot. We
have a mobile measurement system that syncs time using home brewed
software. We would like instead to use the standard tools.

Our main question is how the system acts if, at boot, there is no GPS
data. Is the time left alone? When the time does arrive, how quickly
will the system clock reflect the time? For example, it may turn out
that the PC clock and the GPS time differ by some hours. Does NTP
always do a gradual time shift? Can that be disabled? These systems
are booted a couple times a day.

Any other things to consider?

Check the NTP mailing list, it has a lot of very knowledgeable people. I
think you're more likely to get a useful answer there.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.4°C)