Re: [opensuse] smbd errors
On Sun, 2014-01-12 at 10:12 -0500, James Knott wrote:
lynn wrote:
Yes, it works and smbd is started. However my boss doesn't like error
messages. Especially when they are in red as outlined above.

Before the latest samba update, it was starting cleanly.

With some of the problems I've seen in openSUSE, I often wonder if
anyone bothers to test to make things still work, after making changes.

Years ago, I used to work at IBM Canada, on the team that built standard
desktop systems for IBM employees. I would have been fired, had I
released things that were as broken as this. Back then, I supported
OS/2 and several apps on OS/2 and Windows. Every time a change was
made, I had to go through my testing to ensure everything still worked
properly. If it didn't, it wasn't released.

Thanks for your interest.

I know how you feel. I'm not allowed to put anything into production,
even a script which only I am going to use, unless I can show it will
not affect the system, or (and of course far more importantly) the
people who employ me.

However you at IBM and I currently are paid to make damn sure it's error
free. It make it hard for me to level blame at our volunteer openSUSE
at openSUSE. Having said that, I'm very surprised that the the (paid)
Samba developers at SuSE have let Samba slip to it's current state. A
few years ago, SuSE and openSUSE were the distro of choice for reliable
servers in windows domains. OK, currently, it works, but every new
release and upgrade brings with it new errors.

Conclusion: It is quicker for me to build Samba4 from source than go to
bugzilla and wait for openSUSE to get it error free. I shall however
maintain AD + cifs boxes in the lab to test anything the devs would like
to throw at me that we may get it error free.

Thanks,
L x