Re: [opensuse] opensuse 13.1 annoying limitations
Il 10/01/2014 19:04, Ted Byers ha scritto:

On 14-01-10 03:43 PM, Marco Calistri wrote:
Il 10/01/2014 18:05, Ted Byers ha scritto:
On 14-01-10 02:35 PM, Marco Calistri wrote:

Il 10/01/2014 16:51, Carlos E. R. ha scritto:
On 2014-01-10 17:34, Rares Aioanei wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:11:05 -0200 Marco Calistri
<marco.calistri@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1) BLUETOOTH doesn't works completely
You didn't offer anything in order to receive help. What "doesn't
works completely" even mean?
It is well known that bluetooth doesn't work.

Usually when something doesn't' works, somebody try to repair it ;-)

And in the real world of software engineering and maintenance, when it
gets fixed depends sensitively on it's priority relative to other things
that need to be done and the available resources to get it done, as well
as how hard it is to fix. I do not contribute code or patches to any
distribution of Linux because I know nothing of what rests deep within
the bowels of the OS, or even the compilers for that matter. The
programming I do is generally at the application layer. But even so, I
sometimes feel sorry for those that do because their 'clients' seem to
expect perfection and want every bug fixed almost instantly. I expect
that, since the Bluetooth issue has been around for a while, it is
likely a question of it being a hard fix or there is insufficient
manpower to get it done, or both. I know I have a fair list of bugs I
need to address in my own code, but I don't have the manpower to get
them fixed, and there are a lot of big features I am expected to add
which are of higher priority for the guys paying the bills. I'll give
you three guesses as to what I spend my time on, given that fact of
life, and the first two don't count.

This is a community led product, so bug fixes and feature development
necessarily depends on volunteers to do the heavy lifting. If there is
something you don't like, help fix it; or if you don't know how, then
contribute resources to expedite the process. If you don't do that,
then one can argue that the issue at hand is not much of an issue for
you, or that you don't really care about the issues you're complaining
about.

From my experience, OpenSuse 13.1 is a fine product. Generally
speaking, it is as good as Windows 7, and before that Windows 2k, and
much better than any verions of Windows prior to the latter, as well as
Vista. I do not have, and will not soon have, a machine running Windows
8, so I can't make that comparison. I certainly like it better than any
Windows Server version. For my purposes, none of the three things you
mentioned are important as they do not affect me at all. I do not use
those three capabilities.

You have given a list of things you want to complain about. Why don't
you also give a list of all the features that they got right, or that
work better than most or all other available operating systems? It
would be good to give the guys that work hard to develop this a pat on
the back for the things they got right, as well as letting them know
about those things that need to be improved (ideally without giving them
a slap up-side the head for it).

Cheers

Ted

Hi Ted,

I hope to be not intended as being just a rude complainer.

I use openSUSE, I think from version 10.3...

I had a deep doubt to switch to LinuxMint recently but then I decided to
upgrade my openSUSE 12.3 to 13.1, this is a proof that I like this
distro!

Also I think 13.1 being a good release but this doesn't means it has not
defects or that users must avoid to complain about some bugs or
malfunctions, nor that volunteers or even Novell affiliated developers
could make it better than it is today.

I use to complain of things that for my usage are important.

May be for server usage openSUSE and Linux in general are definitely
better than other O.S. but for laptop I feel it is still not complete.

Bluetooth and Power Management are two important examples of weaknesses
that I see if I compare openSUSE 13.1 with Windows 7.

Regards,

Understood.

The final statement in your first post in this thread "I consider all
the above as limitations in a modern O.S." did give me the impression of
relatively useless complaining. As others points out, in this thread,
the Bluetooth issue is being addressed. And they have directed you to
the right place to find out just how hard they are working on it.
Others have also reported that they are not having the trouble with
their laptops regarding power management that you are having.

I did not suggest that users avoid making their troubles known, but
surely the best approach is to first seek help to determine where the
problem lies, and then, if the problem involves a bug in the product,
file a bug report. As a software developer myself, I give top priority
to those bugs passed on to me by customer support personelle (as they
will have made an initial diagnosis of where the problem is), and then
to properly filed bug reports. I have seen too many 'users' complain
just for the sake of complaining and taking up the time of support
personelle (one of my aunts included).

Developers generally try to make their product as good as it can be, but
face limitations of time and resources. That, along with the fact
no-one is perfect, is why there are and always will be bugs in virtually
every product that exists.

Might I suggest you follow the resources other pointed you to to follow
when the Bluetooth stack will be fixed and released, and start a thread
to investigate your power management issues.

Cheers

Ted
Ok Ted,

Appreciated your suggestions.

Unluckily also I have limited time to investigate on these issues and
file a bug, than probably they never will be resolved.

Ciao,

--
Friendships are fragile things, and require as much handling as
any other fragile and precious thing.