[opensuse] Re: opensuse 13.1 annoying limitations
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:50:16 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:58:18 -0200, Marco Calistri wrote:

Il 10/01/2014 17:35, Jim Henderson ha scritto:
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:11:05 -0200, Marco Calistri wrote:

2) Power Management "sucks" with laptops

Not here. It would probably be helpful to describe what you're seeing
rather than making a broad, general statement.

I have a Dell N7110 (R17) laptop, and power management seems to be as
good as it was on 12.2, at least.

Jim

Ok Jim,

I'm not spreading my comments "for free", the power management problem
for my laptop (Lenovo Z470) is present since oS12.3 and I did already
reported on the list (I should have opened a bug I know, but I
didn't...).

I'm not sure how anyone was supposed to know that was your hardware
without you telling us.

(My DE is GNOME)

As is mine.

I mean that I'm seeing the following:

1) When battery reaches critical threshold system doesn't' sent any text
nor audio notifications (beeps)

2) system went no automatically hibernated

3) system went no automatically suspended on RAM

4) system simply shut-down and let me irritated

Again, no idea how we were supposed to know that this was what you were
experiencing without you telling us that specifically.

Those are only a subset of features of PM - I read your comment as
meaning maybe that your battery life wasn't as good as you thought it
should be.

Missing items 2 and 3 works only manually, both never worked
automatically nor by changing the default settings with dconf-editor

Also the settings of power management, beside being not working at all
are really hidden, especially for not experienced users.

The settings available in general settings menu are IMHO too limited to
just few things.

That's specific and actionable feedback. I'd suggest searching bugzilla
to see if the issues are reported specifically for 13.1 (or for 12.3) and
if not, open new bugs describing - in detail - the problems. If you find
it for 12.3 but not 13.1, then maybe comment on the 12.3 bug and say that
you see this on 13.1 as well.

That's how you get things moving. Not by e-mailing vague and incomplete
information to a mailing list. ;)

Jim
--
Jim Henderson