Re: [opensuse] general thoughts on 13.1?
On 2014-01-10 16:34, Philippe Andersson wrote:

I noticed a similar behaviour here: when I run "compact" on my inbox
folder in Thunderbird (800 MB on an MS Exchange server over IMAP), my
laptop is also heavily impacted by it (very perceptible sluggishness
during the whole operation, complete "freeze" for a couple seconds at
the end of it).

This under OpenSuSE 12.3 running on a Thinkpad T530 with 4GB RAM (but
with the NIC operating at only 100 Mbps -- perhaps this plays a role).

On the contrary, it should ease the load. As the network can not
transmit as much data as a hard disk can, it means that the CPU has far
less data to move than it is in fact capable of. Ok, it is a very rough
comparison, but IMO, that operation should not tax a client computer at all.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.