Re: [opensuse] general thoughts on 13.1?
On 10/01/14 09:11, ellanios82 wrote:
On 01/10/2014 05:06 AM, James Knott wrote:
One issue I've noticed with both 12.x and 13.1 is occasionally, there's
something generating a lot of disk activity and pretty much locking up
the system for a few minutes.

- likewise : maybe something to do with ' kswapd ' ?

It may well be totally unrelated, but since I did a fresh install of 12.3 on a dual-core laptop, I was having regular episodes of disk activity which I'd never seen on my old laptop (also running 12.3, but every version of openSUSE prior to that too).

I tracked it down in the end to the Lightning component of Thunderbird. Some imported holidays calendars were updating every half an hour and hogging the system for up to a minute each time. Since I set them to update manually I'm not seeing this issue. But this never occurred in Lightning/Thunderbird on my old machine so I don't know why checking one or two simple holiday calendar .ics files would demand so much resources unless there's a bug in the program.

Peter