Re: [opensuse] Why is RasPi worth more effort than older PCs? or Macs?
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 20:07:48 -0500
On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 6:22 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Grouse as you may about hardware obsolescence being forced by standard kernels
and desktops. I'm with you.

But it just seems odd to turn around and badmouth the Raspberry
in the same post when it is the living proof you can still do many useful
things
in a small machine.

My intention wasn't to badmouth the RPi. It was to ask why something
so underpowered gets so much attention when there are perfectly
capable machines out there that really should be more usable other
than the demands of the newest versions of everything. Quite
honestly, the only reason I have a 6core Phenom II in my
desktop/server is for video encoding. I don't play games, edit video
or anything else. Other than web browsing & checking email(which I do
in webapps & have for 15+years) I don't really do anything different
now than I did 10 years ago.

Don't get me wrong. I used to run OS/2 & would run win16 programs in
their own session so yes, that takes more resources. I also have
Virtualbox installed on both my Thinkpads & my server. Until recently
the P3 had win200 but now it has XP, & it works fine for what I need
it to do. Sure the Core2 is more responsive but after dealing with
slow computers for 30 years, having to wait isn't an issue for me.