Re: [opensuse] Why is RasPi worth more effort than older PCs? or Macs?
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 17:23:58 -0500
On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For 35 bucks you get a whole computer with the Pi.
For about $65 you get a bunch of auxiliary features like a power supply
case, cables etc, that you really don't need.

Add in a monitor, keyboard, mouse, storage, etc, & you are way past that.

But the $35 price includes every thing you really need, including a
fully capable linux distro (three of them actually, as well as BSD).
Up and running in 15 minutes, and, sporting the same processor as
the Iphone 3Gs, it is no slouch in performance.

Sure, the 3gs was ok for iOS 4. But that's like saying a Pentium ran
Win95 ok. I can install 13.1 on my Thinkpad A30p & be up in running
as fast.

And the distro(s) available for Pi are largely complete, Debian
linux, which every interested 7th grader can manage

Really? Debian is far from considered user friendly. uBuntu is but not Debian.

And supporting the ARM processor is NOT harder than supporting
the multiple versions of Intel concurrently available.
Its essentially no harder than a recompile of the distro with
different switches.
The problem isn't with the PI, its with YOUR expectations.
You expect the ThinkPad to handle modern workstation loads
and Bloated desktop environments. Why? Well it LOOKS
just about like the machines that DO handle that load.

For one thing I fail to see exactly why these new desktops NEED so
much more processing power. Eye Candy? Bling? Desktop Search tools
that I & the MAJORITY of computer users don't use? I don't NEED a 3D
desktop. However, the fact that my A30p has 2 DVD drive bays & that I
can put a 1TB SATA in 1 or both and/or a DVD Burner & use it as a
mobile server make it VERY useful to ME. No other newer machine has 2
DVD bays that I have found. Plus it's 1600x1200 IPS LCD is much
better than most newer 1366x768 displays by far even being 13 years
old.

But that wasn't the point. My question was why do people fall over
themselves for a machine that you can't upgrade the RAM, but people
with machines with 512MB are told to upgrade or replace the machine
because 13.1 requires 1GB RAM. What are we doing that's so much
different from 5 years ago that we NEED twice the RAM? Other than
using 50+ tabs in Firefox, I can't find anything in top that shows
that much more RAM usage than what I was doing 5 years ago on a Dual
P3/500Mhz with 512MB RAM. Sure the extra Ghz is nice for loading some
web stuff, but the Pi can't be that good at displaying web pages. Can
you run Flashplayer on it to watch youtube videos?(I don't know, I
don't have one). That's what my son does on-line more than anything
else.

But the P3 was releases almost a DECADE prior to the RaspberryPI processor.

So what? The Tualatin P3 1.4Ghz outperformed the P4 until it was past
2.4Ghz in MANY things. Then, the Pentium M was released based on the
Tualatin P3. The current Core i series trace their roots to the P3.
Granted my Core2 based T60p is now my main machine(mainly because it's
lighter) but I still use the A30p for watching movies and doing onsite
backups so it's not like I should throw it away. It works.

The Pi? Nobody expects to put KDE on that, they expect to
run at the command line (although it has a Graphical User Interface
if you want). It has a better chance of running KDE than
that your P3.

These guys are:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=22637