Re: [opensuse] Why is RasPi worth more effort than older PCs? or Macs?
On 01/06/2014 04:42 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2014-01-07 01:20, John Andersen wrote:
On 1/6/2014 1:46 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

But the OP was complaining that even the old laptop is struggling with
that role. And he's right about that. Got a few of those kicking around too.
Not really. I understands that he complains that Linux is abandoning
that target. Not that those laptops can not cope, but that Linux
desktops are becoming more and more demanding, needing recent hardware
and abandoning older hardware.

I also feel the same.

This discussion brings to mind the Linux Router Project (LRP) that
I used in 1999 or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Router_Project

It was a minimalist version of Linux that fit on a 3.5-inch floppy.
On my box it booted into and ran out of 128-MB of ram. The desktop had
no hard disks and two Ethernet interfaces. LRP had enough capability
to function as as dandy router/firewall using IP-Chains. It used
BusyBox for the common commands and even had an SSH server and client.

The beauty of the thing was if it ever became compromised, just boot
off of the write-protected floppy and you're back home again. Of course,
it was never compromised.

Regards,
Lew