Re: [opensuse] Why is RasPi worth more effort than older PCs? or Macs?
Larry --

...and then Larry Stotler said...
%
%
% Then something like the underpowered Raspberry Pi comes out & people
% eBay, which would have same as or more RAM(The RPi originally only
% came with 26MB, but 512MB is now standard), better expansion & have
% As an example, my Thinkpad A30p has a 1.2Ghz P3, 1GB RAM, Radeon
% 7000/32MB, 320GB HD, DVD Burner. But, with a well known and well
% against supporting the RPi, I just don't understand why it, being
% underpowered is considered "acceptable" where older PC hardware isn't
% & people are told they should buy newer.

BECOZ ITZ KY00T! I can has Piz now?

Seriously, though, I think that its tiny form factor is a big plus and
helps set the expectations of those who want to play with it. I'd love
to have a bunch of them in air ducts controlling flow, running around
on spider legs patrolling the house and playing with the cats, and so on.
Try putting legs on a laptop and see how it goes ;-)

On the other hand, if you're after a compute server farm and need RAM for
processing and crunching, a stack of old laptops goes a long way for that
purpose. And if you want a storage farm, a single 14-bay tower and big
power supply goes a long way for *that* purpose. It's all about setting
expectations, and in addition to being new and cute and fun, the Pi's
small form, low power draw, open structure, and simplicity help it fill a
lot of niches.

Speaking personally, I would be most interested in something that can
interface wirelessly with keyboard, mouse, and screen (remote display on
an Android tablet, maybe?) via Bluetooth and has WiFi & RFID, whether it
has removable uSD storage or some permanent store on board. Build me one
that's about 1" x 2" x .5" and runs for a day on a flat battery such as
in a cell phone and I'll finally be ready to cough up my own money :-)

Happy New Year

:-D
--
David T-G