Re: [opensuse] Why is RasPi worth more effort than older PCs? or Macs?
On 01/06/2014 11:23 AM, Larry Stotler wrote:
I've always advocated reusing computers & I've been continually
frustrated by the Linux community as a whole recently because they
keep pushing software that takes more resources. Linux was always
held up as the poster child for keeping alive older hardware, but that
seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Then something like the underpowered Raspberry Pi comes out & people
fall all over themselves to add support for it. For not much more
than the cost of a RPi, I can pick up a cheap Pentium 3 laptop off
eBay, which would have same as or more RAM(The RPi originally only
came with 26MB, but 512MB is now standard), better expansion & have
basically a whole computer that's better supported and much faster(I
doubt that the armv6 core in the RPi is faster than a P3/500 at most
things).

As an example, my Thinkpad A30p has a 1.2Ghz P3, 1GB RAM, Radeon
7000/32MB, 320GB HD, DVD Burner. But, with a well known and well
supported old graphics chip, even KDE3/TDE is barely usable & KDE4 is
like molasses. Granted, the RPi does have a video chip capable of
decoding x264, but a 2D desktop like KDE3/TDE should function well on
pretty much any hardware.

Supporting ARM is a real pain because there are so many different SoC
versions, where x86 is a known and well supported standard. I'm not
against supporting the RPi, I just don't understand why it, being
underpowered is considered "acceptable" where older PC hardware isn't
& people are told they should buy newer.

Just wondering. Thanx

I'm no expert, but I would venture a guess that the Raspberry Pi is so popular for two reasons

1) it's cute and a fad right now.

2) it's small size and easy adaptability make it very functional for adding computer controls to a variety of devices.

By the way, know what an "expert" is? An "ex" is a has been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

--

A cat is a puzzle with no solution.

Cats are tiny little women in fur coats.

When you get all full of yourself try giving orders to a cat.