Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On 1/4/2014 1:29 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2014-01-04 22:05, John Andersen wrote:
On 1/4/2014 12:31 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
If I put the tcpdump on "lo" and repeat, with nscd running I see only one
hit. If I stop nscd I see one hit each time (but none on eth0). So
it appears that both nscd and dnsmasq are caching DNS queries...

Interesting!

So, the point now is to decide which is best to use. I want dnsmasq,
because I also use it for local machine names. So perhaps I should
disable nscd (for hosts). :-?

That is kind of what I was suspecting, you have dual caches.
Since nscd caches things beyond DNS, it probably doesn't hurt you, other
than taking up a bit more memory.
Local machine names can be cached if they are in /etc/hosts I suppose.

/etc/nscd.conf

enable-cache hosts no

and restart it. I try to ping suse.de, with tcpdump on eth0 active, and I see
no entries, so dnsmasq is still caching it.

And dnsmasq as caches /etc/hosts :-)

Very interesting thread! Thanks.

Here's more on this found on this site:
http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/nscd-dns-caching-and-postfix/
Turns out if cache is shared (mine is) you get incomplete stats out of nscd -g
because
applications are raiding its cookie jar behind its back.

This is the intended way for it to operate, apparently.