Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On 2014-01-04 20:11, John Andersen wrote:

Carlos's point is that nscd might not be doing the cacheing on his network
because he is explicitly running some other services to handle this, and
therefore his results would prove nothing about nscd.
I don't think he meant that the actual commands wouldn't work.

Right.

I would have to stop dnsmasq, and edit /etc/resolv.conf to point to my router, which is not that difficult, anyway.

Your tests work for me, but I too have no idea who is doing this caching,
as nscd -g shows no difference comparing before or after, and cache
hit rate remains 0.
I run bind as well, on my gateway box, so it might be in there.

I'm running this on a terminal:

watch "nscd -g | head -80 | tail -23"

and what I see is:

hosts cache:

yes cache is enabled
no cache is persistent
yes cache is shared
211 suggested size
216064 total data pool size
112 used data pool size
600 seconds time to live for positive entries
0 seconds time to live for negative entries
0 cache hits on positive entries
0 cache hits on negative entries
1 cache misses on positive entries
0 cache misses on negative entries
0% cache hit rate
1 current number of cached values
1 maximum number of cached values
0 maximum chain length searched
0 number of delays on rdlock
0 number of delays on wrlock
0 memory allocations failed
yes check /etc/hosts for changes

and this does not change when I run "host google.es" or "host suse.de". Or
local addresses.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.