Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On 1/4/2014 9:22 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2014-01-04 16:24, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Now notice no outgoing DNS traffic.

If you want to be certain 'nscd' is doing the caching, stop it, then
repeat the exercise and notice outgoing DNS traffic on every ping
command.

It would not work in any of my system, I have always set a DNS cache
server. Previously I used bind, now I use dnsmasq.

I would have to disable that and reconfigure my network.

Hmm, without knowing your config, you still ought to be able to
see/tcpdump the DNS traffic somewhere. If dnsmasq is accessed via
127.0.0.1, just run tcpdump on 'lo'.

If dnsmasq doesn't run locally, run tcpdump on whichever interface is
used to access it.

Carlos's point is that nscd might not be doing the cacheing on his network
because he is explicitly running some other services to handle this, and
therefore his results would prove nothing about nscd.
I don't think he meant that the actual commands wouldn't work.

Your tests work for me, but I too have no idea who is doing this caching,
as nscd -g shows no difference comparing before or after, and cache
hit rate remains 0.
I run bind as well, on my gateway box, so it might be in there.