Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On 2014-01-04 16:18, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

I understand it means that it uses that function, yes, but only the hosts
database is cached.

Carlos,

I agree that man page is horrible, but per other searches it does
cache dns queries.

:-?

Dunno.

I just installed nscd for the first time (seems like it should be part
of the default install since it is useful in web browsing).

It is installed here, and running. I did not do it myself. It is a fresh 13.1
install.

Browsing with firefox I see the "hosts cache" growing, but there are
no cache hits. I guess that confirms that firefox is caching
internally.

Well, that's interesting.

I have noticed that when I do a simple google search with my smartphone, and loading some pages, it is very slow, absurdly so. The transferred data is not that big. Part of the issue could be DNS, perhaps seconds per query. The default internet browser (not firefox) in that Samsung must be pretty small.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.