Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2014-01-04 12:27, Per Jessen wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

Check nscd. It's used in openSUSE for name server caching. man nscd
for details.

No, it doesn't. It caches the hosts file.

Yes it does. See your own quote:

Nscd provides caching for accesses of the passwd(5), group(5),
and hosts(5) databases through standard libc interfaces,
such as getpwnam(3), getpwuid(3), getgrnam(3), getgrgid(3),
gethostbyname(3), and others.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I understand it means that it uses that function, yes, but only the hosts
database is cached.

Carlos,

I agree that man page is horrible, but per other searches it does
cache dns queries.

I just installed nscd for the first time (seems like it should be part
of the default install since it is useful in web browsing).

Browsing with firefox I see the "hosts cache" growing, but there are
no cache hits. I guess that confirms that firefox is caching
internally.

Greg