Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On Thu, 2014-01-02 at 17:11 -0500, James Knott wrote:
Hans Witvliet wrote:
Dns is a pretty lightweight service, so the recommendation even 20 years
ago was to dedicate a low performance PC to dns. The reason for that is
uptime for your local dns server is very important. Having a local dns
server means 99% of dns lookups will be handled at local lan speeds. It
also means the cache of names/ips is shared by all your machines.

Sounds like a good job for a couple of raspberry pi's (primary &
secondary dns). Each of them fed from its own recharchable and PSU.

Actually, it's a good job for any computer that's running all the time.
My firewall/router is an old i586 computer running openSUSE 11.4.
That's where ai run Dnscache, along with some other services.

Yeah, i know.

I used to have my dns on my firewall/imap/dhcp/... machine.
But i found out that if something goes wrong with dns, everything else
tumbled down. Hence i going to migrate my dns-functionality to two
machines doing nothing else.

@John, my main access is via cable, secondly via adsl (different
providers) and if even those fail i still got a GSM-modem

hw