Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 19:53:53 +0100
Anton Aylward wrote:

Per Jessen said the following on 01/03/2014 11:43 AM:
An application really should not be caching, it should leave that to
nscd or a caching dns.

Let me tout the "Context is Everything" point once again.

Yes you are right, in certain contexts.
Such as folks like us doing general computing using a variety of
applications that make demands on network services.

Well, I did say "should not", not "must not" :-)

But in other contexts you are wrong, dead wrong.
The most obvious of these is the netbook/chromebook where the browser
is the system, there is no other application to share the DNS results.

I don't quite see how that makes my point "dead wrong". Honestly.
Multiple threads might benefit from sharing a dns cache, but
it's not so much about the sharing. It's simply that an application
really ought to leave it to the system to cache DNS results. For
instance, an application using the regular resolver (via getaddrinfo)
will not have access to the TTL, whereas nscd does. What the overall
system is being used for (browsing, playing solitaire or whatever) is
less relevant.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.0°C)