Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
Merry Christmas and a happy new year,

On Wednesday 01 of January 2014 03:27:44 Felix Miata wrote:
Is there any convenient way to evaluate average response times from various
servers?

Yes, try namebench by Google. It is available in the OBS.

Are there logical reasons for avoiding Google's or other high visibility
servers?

Well, Google and OpenDNS almost certainly use statistics from the DNS traffic
for profit. This is not necessarily bad, but it may become so if they start
altering the answers based on their commercial interests.

Are there reasons why the servers provided by the ISP subscribed to
shouldn't be preferred?

ISP's servers should be the fastest with regard to network latency and quite
fast with regard to the number of queries cached. I checked the effect these
two factors have on performance with namebench some days ago, and Google's and
openDNS's name servers outperformed my ISP's servers by 70%, so the number of
users apparently has much higher effect on DNS performance than network
latency. Regarding the DNS server on DSL routers/modems, in general it has bad
performance and in my case it doesn't work at all!

Regards,
Peter