Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On 01/02/2014 07:35 PM, Felix Miata pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On 2014-01-01 14:35 (GMT+0100) Carlos E. R. composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

My web browsers often seem to spend a lot of time reporting "looking up
host <blah>". I'd like to see less of that in 2014, and spend less time
watching nothing happen in the browser's viewport.

You can set a DNS local server, working as cache. It is now even easier
than it was.

Dnsmasq is now installed by default, just use it.

My 24/7 box is still on 11.4. Dnsmasq was not installed.

In "/etc/dnsmasq.conf" tell dnsmasq to ask the router or isp or whatever.

server=192.168.1.1

Seems simple enough, until I look at the default /etc/dnsmasq.conf file,
where I see only this example that seems like the closest equivalent to
your suggestion:

#server=/localnet/192.168.0.1

What are the "/" and "localnet" about? Searching through the man page,
search string localnet was not found. There is no separate man page for
dnsmasq.conf. Maybe localnet would have been better expressed as
<localnet> or <domain>?

If I wanted to use two Google servers instead of router IP, bypassing
resolv.conf, would I put both IPs on one line, or two, and if on one,
separated how?

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

--