Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 20:08:52 -0500
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 7:58 PM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On a small network, the caching function wouldn't provide much
advantage.

I disagree, but I haven't really used wireshark to verify it in a couple years.

To the best of my knowledge, if a website has 20 images on it
referenced by hostname, then the browser will do a DNS lookup for each
of those 20. If you're not running a caching DNS server either on
that box itself or on your lan somewhere, then those 20 queries have
to go out to the DNS server you're using. At normal ISP speeds, that
can add up.

As to using the DNS server in the router, I've always assumed all it
did was forward your requests to the ISP for you. Do low end home
routers actually cache DNS queries?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer