Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On 2014-01-03 01:35, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2014-01-01 14:35 (GMT+0100) Carlos E. R. composed:

You can set a DNS local server, working as cache. It is now even easier
than it was.

Dnsmasq is now installed by default, just use it.

My 24/7 box is still on 11.4. Dnsmasq was not installed.

Ah, right. You can use plain bind, which by default acts as DNS cache. It is just a bit trickier to setup.

Or wait till you upgrade that 11.4 to 13.1, which I'm also about to do (both
are Evergreen versions).

In "/etc/dnsmasq.conf" tell dnsmasq to ask the router or isp or whatever.

server=192.168.1.1

Seems simple enough, until I look at the default /etc/dnsmasq.conf file, where
I see only this
example that seems like the closest equivalent to your suggestion:

#server=/localnet/192.168.0.1

What are the "/" and "localnet" about? Searching through the man page, search
string localnet was
not found. There is no separate man page for dnsmasq.conf. Maybe localnet would
have been better
expressed as <localnet> or <domain>?

Forget all that. You only need to add the new line I suggested.

If I wanted to use two Google servers instead of router IP, bypassing
resolv.conf, would I put both
IPs on one line, or two, and if on one, separated how?

Two lines:

server=X.y.z.v
server=X.y.z.w

It is a very simple syntax.