Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On 2014-01-02 23:04 (GMT+0100) Hans Witvliet composed:

On Wed, 2014-01-01 at 09:37 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:

Do you run your own local dns server? Since you have numerous machines
you should. Set it up to forward non-cached lookups to a good dns
server. No need for that good dns server to be your isp's.

While I do have a lot of machines, only two run 24/7, and one runs
eComStation 1.14 (most recent variant of OS/2; latest release 2.1; 2.2 now in
beta), which has a 500kb hosts file initially created using more than a
decade ago.

Dns is a pretty lightweight service, so the recommendation even 20 years
ago was to dedicate a low performance PC to dns. The reason for that is
uptime for your local dns server is very important. Having a local dns
server means 99% of dns lookups will be handled at local lan speeds. It
also means the cache of names/ips is shared by all your machines.

Sounds like a good job for a couple of raspberry pi's (primary & secondary
dns). Each of them fed from its own recharchable and PSU.

Is there good reason for 2 additional machines and switch port consumption to do what one already running 24/7 for both desktop, LAN server, and Apache can do?

If read this whole thread that I started, though not all at once. A lot of
good info, with multiple philosophical variances.

It seems the preferred starting point for me will be using OpenDNS server
IPs, as my own ISP's redirect to its own junk page instead of allowing my
browser to show its standard 404 message, and the OpenDNS tests with
traceroute -n -w 2 -q 2 were overall best of all I tried, e.g. 199.166.31.3
(199.166.31.3) 23.240 ms 22.991 ms.

As to a caching server I'm not sure what to think. If I saw an explanation
how one like dnsmasq on a PC might be better than the server in my internet
router, I either missed it, or have forgotten. It seems like most convenient
would be to use the one in the router, set to use OpenDNS IPs, and also use
it to block ad servers.

As to blocking ad servers, is blocking via the firewall materially different
in effectiveness from redirecting to 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 via hosts entries? I use a lot
of different browsers on different machines, so have never tried the adblock
extension. I do have an adblock.css file preventing display of various
standard ad image sizes in some browser profiles.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/