Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 19:28:13 +0100
Felix Miata wrote:

My web browsers often seem to spend a lot of time reporting "looking
up host <blah>". I'd like to see less of that in 2014, and spend less
time watching nothing happen in the browser's viewport.

http://www.edwin.io/optimized-resolv-conf seems to make sense, but it
includes no discussion of a local nameserver, such as the one
typically enabled by default in an internet router, only using Google
IPs. Anyone have anything to add or dispute what it says?

A local nameserver should presumably be read to mean one on your local
network, where you would (also presumably) want to always direct your
queries. Then you could 'optimize' your resolv.conf to just

"nameserver <your-local-nameserver>".

Is there any convenient way to evaluate average response times from
various servers?

'dig' will tell you, but you'd have to work out the average times
yourself.

Are there reasons why the servers provided by the ISP subscribed to
shouldn't be preferred?

Not AFAICS.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.3°C)