Re: [opensuse] legacy device support on modern motherboard and linux
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:42:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2013-09-29 at 07:56 -0400, James Knott wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
Those needing to recover old info.

That would have to be fairly old info and, given the poor long term
reliability of floppies, possibly unrecoverable. Over the years I have
tossed several floppies that had deteriorated so much that not only were
they not readable, they couldn't even be formatted.

I tried recovering backups made 10 years before, on 80 floppies, and there was only one error, which the software recovered. The floppies were old, but good quality. However, floppies bought later (dunno the year) failed a lot.

Floppies made in the 80's do not fail easily.

80% of floppies made in the 21th century fail on first use.

I have used floppies, not very recently, to take documents to some people. Nowdays I would perpahs use usb stick (if they are not disabled at the sites). However, the minimum size I can find for sticks is 8 GB. I can not find a 1GB stick for one use.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.