Re: [opensuse] legacy device support on modern motherboard and linux
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 04:13:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday, 2013-09-25 at 21:12 -0400, James Knott wrote:

Istvan Gabor wrote:
Will e.g. a serial card work in linux with my serial modem or other old device
with serial port?
The same question applies to parallel and IDE connections.

I bought a USB serial port a few years ago, to connect to the console
port on network and telecom equipment. It works fine with Linux. I
haven't tried it with a modem though.

It may work as long as you don't really need all the wires, or if you don't have strict timing constraints.

Meaning: the serial port directly drives an IRQ cable, so the CPU atends it instantly, within an instruction or two. Via USB you have to wait till the device is polled.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.