Re: [opensuse] legacy device support on modern motherboard and linux
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 07:40:15 +0200
On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:25:59 PM Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

Most modern motherboards do not have serial, parallel, IDE, floppy, and even
PCI ports.

I guess there exist PCI-E expansion cards for serial, parallel, and IDE
connection.

The question is whether they are usable in linux.

Will e.g. a serial card work in linux with my serial modem or other old
device with serial port? The same question applies to parallel and IDE
connections.

We use serial cards for GPS receivers. They work fine in Linux. I can
investigate the exact model we use if needed.

--
Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems