Re: [opensuse] Missing of a better power management for laptop
Il 23/08/2013 07:22, Peter ha scritto:
On 23/08/13 04:56, Marco Calistri wrote:
Hello OpenSuSers,

IMHO, we are missing an acoustic alarm as well as a really working
hibernate or suspend function in 12.3.

It is very annoying being sudden logged out by the system powering down
without the possibility to be warned in advance (by acoustic alarm) or
to restart exactly from the point wherein you have been logged off by
critical battery level.

So far I'm experiencing these issues in my opensuse 12.3.

Sorry to have to admit thhat ones again Windows appears to be more
versatile on this matter.

What DE are you using? In KDE, you can go to the System Settings ->
Power Management, select the Advanced Settings, and from there you have
many options. Set at what point the battery is regarded as critical
level, what action should be performed (e.g. suspend), and then by
clicking on Configure Notifications and clicking the Battery Critical
line, you can set to play a sound, show a popup, mark the taskbar entry
or run a command.

Of course, if you're not using KDE your choices may well be more limited
or require extra extensions to be installed to find equivalent
functionality. Some DEs are geared towards a more minimalist approach
for users who aren't so concerned with fine tuning and options galore.
If you're expecting configuration options akin to Windows then you
probably *should* be using KDE which, IMHO, surpasses Windows with its
configurability.

Hi Peter,

I have just tested this functionality on KDE 4.10.5.
I set to receive a notifications when battery reaches critical threshold
both on screen and by sound alarm, but nothing happened: laptop powered
down and worst of all, without go in hibernate state!

There are some settings I should verify in BIOS?

I'm using Lenovo Z470.

Cheers,

--
Marco Calistri (amdturion)
opensuse 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64 bit - Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop