Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (878 mails)

< Previous Next >
[opensuse] top reporting %mem incorrectly?
This morning when I logged into my computer, I noticed that my system monitor
was saying that I was using up ~6GB of memory, so I decided to fire up top and
see what was using it. And I noticed something - the %mem fields look really
off. For example, Chrome is using ~1G, and it says that's 10.7% of memory. But,
Virtualbox is using ~1.3G, and it says that it's only using 0.5% of memory? I
thought, well, maybe it's just showing the percentage used by that individual
process but the amount of all of the processes with the same name, but nope,
there's only one VirtualBox process running.

Is this a bug, or is something else going on?


I'm running 32-bit oS 12.3 with 8GB of memory.

Chris




top - 08:59:14 up 5 days, 1:01, 3 users, load average: 0.38, 0.44, 0.50
Tasks: 237 total, 1 running, 235 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie
%Cpu(s): 2.6 us, 1.5 sy, 0.1 ni, 95.8 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
KiB Mem: 7916552 total, 6757444 used, 1159108 free, 168268 buffers
KiB Swap: 2097148 total, 37484 used, 2059664 free, 1259212 cached


VIRT RES SHR %MEM COMMAND
1047m 824m 42m 10.7 chrome
720m 385m 22m 5.0 kded4
516m 357m 53m 4.6 Xorg
906m 294m 43m 3.8 firefox
408m 192m 10m 2.5 simias
836m 189m 46m 2.4 chrome
456m 177m 65m 2.3 plasma-desktop
1277m 106m 14m 1.4 java
331m 87m 31m 1.1 chrome
343m 87m 24m 1.1 plugin-containe
287m 86m 18m 1.1 chrome
271m 69m 24m 0.9 chrome
374m 65m 24m 0.9 krunner
351m 61m 24m 0.8 kwin
536m 60m 2680 0.8 mysqld
259m 59m 24m 0.8 chrome
246m 56m 23m 0.7 chrome
371m 52m 21m 0.7 pidgin
335m 50m 22m 0.7 chrome
2778m 50m 50m 0.7 systemd-journal
392m 44m 20m 0.6 mono
1310m 37m 0 0.5 VirtualBox




--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse+owner@xxxxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >