[opensuse] Re: Repeated key syndrome
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 01:40:47 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 03:22:42 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Yes, USB keyboard, new (±15 days). But I unplugged it completely, yet
the key stream continued. I think the hey was the tab, I'm unsure if I
typed it or not.

I assumed that there was a lot of some key in the buffer, but after a
minute it did not stop... so I rebooted.

From what I recall, keyboards issue two events when you press a key - a
"key press", and a "key release". If the key release event doesn't
register for some reason, that would cause the behaviour you saw (and
that I've seen).

That also explains why pressing the key and releasing it again causes it
to stop.

I don't think this is a buffering issue, I think it's a USB "key release"
event issue, based on my own experiences.

Interestingly, though, my keyboard and KVM are PS/2 style, but the
machine I have the problem with doesn't have a PS/2 port on it, so I use
a PS/2-to-USB adapter for the keyboard and touchpad.

That's probably why I've never thought about it as a potential issue for
others - because there are two intermediate devices between my keyboard
and the system.

If you end up reproducing it, try hitting the stuck key and releasing it
and see what happens. I'd bet that it stops.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson