Re: [opensuse] Memory reported incorrectly?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 06:25:34 +0200
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
В Tue, 24 Sep 2013 00:14:37 +0200
C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

Yes I installed the 32 bit version. With a system with 4GB of RAM,
does it really make a difference?

Part of address space below 4G is reserved by BIOS to access peripheral
devices. How much - depends on manufacturer. The only way to use memory
that overlaps this range is to remap it above 4G.

Yes I'm aware of that. What tripped me up is that I was under the
impression that PAE was enabled on all openSUSE kernels, so it
shouldn't be a problem anyway.

I've installed 32 bit openSUSE on various systems with anywhere
between 1GB and 32 GB, and I've always been able to see all of the
available RAM. I've never had to explicitly select the PAE kernel for
things to work.

What I did notice is that when I'm installing this time, I get
kernel-default. If I switch that over to kernel-pae, or
kernel-desktop, I see all of the RAM.

So... apparently PAE is not enabled on all openSUSE kernels like I
thought... kernel-default does not have PAE enabled, kernel-desktop
and kernel-pae do have it enabled. For whatever reason, instead of
getting the usual (for me) kernel-dektop on install, I got
kernel-default.

Switching over to kernel-desktop "solved" the problem.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 i686 KDE 4.11