Re: [opensuse] Memory reported incorrectly?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 00:14:37 +0200
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 23/09/13 18:35, Cristian Rodríguez escribió:
El 23/09/13 18:13, C escribió:
This is odd. I'm not sure how to diagnose it.

I've got an Acer Iconia W700 laptop/tablet.
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model-datasheet/NT.L0QAA.005

I just installed oS 13.1 on it and noticed the memory wasn't reported
correctly... I was seeing 1.8GB instead of the 4GB it actually has.

So... as part of my testing before asking on the ML, I installed oS
12.3. It's also showing only 1.8GB.

Anyone have any tips on what might be the issue here?

Did you installed a 32 bit version ? why ?

Yes I installed the 32 bit version. With a system with 4GB of RAM,
does it really make a difference? Why shouldn't it be OK to run it on
a 32 bit install?

I haven't booted a 64 bit ISO yet... I don't have one right now, I'm
on a slow internet connection, so getting another ISO will take a
while.

What I have tried is openSUSE 12.3 32 bit and 13.1 Beta 1 32 bit.
Both report 1.8GB of system RAM.

Also the specs says : "Graphics Memory Accessibility Shared" how much
memory are you sharing with the graphics ?

According to the EFI/BIOS it states 4096MB total RAM, 128 MB Video
memory. There is no way that I can see to change it (increase or
decrease) so what it is, is all that it is. The system was originally
running Windows 8 (wiped it to install openSUSE) and it reported 4GB.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.11