Re: [opensuse] oS 12.3 - why the long delay....
On 20/09/13 23:44, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
В Fri, 20 Sep 2013 23:18:53 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

On 20/09/13 23:02, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
В Fri, 20 Sep 2013 22:56:16 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

On 18/09/13 23:18, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
� Wed, 18 Sep 2013 23:05:38 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> �����:

...when the boot process reaches the stage 'Starting Login Service'?

Because other services that are being started take longer?

I have noticed this for quite some time but hadn't bothered about this
until now.

When the system is booting there is a pause of 21.7 seconds when the
kernel messages on the screen show 'Starting Login Service'. After this
pause the login screen is reached in about 3 seconds.

Login Service has nothing to do with login screen, the name is
misleading. Login Service starts systemd-logind which registers
sessions, but it is not responsible for starting programs that let you
log in (getty, [kgx]dm etc). So two events are not related.

Anybody know why there is this long pause, please?

Install systemd-analyze and look at graph that shows relative timing of
different services. This will answer, what startup is waiting for.
Thanks for this, but I see no graph when I run systemd-analyze - even
with the 'plot' option which you mention later. When I do run 'plot' all
I see are pages and pages and pages of meaningless - to me - output.

Could you make it available?
OK, if you insist :-) . But I am sending it to you personally as an
attachment in a separate message 'cause it is 437Kb big.

network.service took about 22 seconds to become active.

Yes I gathered that from what I saw when booting 13.1 Beta.

The question, of course, is what exactly, and why, should be taking so much time to activate the network. I am not using the new Network Manager (as far as I know) and there is nothing special about my setup - a wired modem/router with 2 computers on the LAN.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.11.1 & kernel 3.11.1-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor